Mod #94: Door Stopper Protection Plate

Mod #94: Door Stopper Protection Plate

Submitted on: 02/16/10

     Category: exterior
Mod Rating: 12345

(12 ratings)

Loading ... Loading ...
Viewed: 53083 times
Share your experiences and connect with others who’ve actually done what’s described in this mod. If that’s YOU, click the “I Did This Mod!” button. See the FAQ for more information on this very cool feature!
Congratulations! You've “Done the Mod”. You should see your gravatar displayed in all it's glory over in the sidebar. Don't have a gravatar? Visit and sign up for one. It's free and once you do, your new gravatar will appear in the sidebar and in the comments you make on any mod. See the FAQ for more information.

Mod Description:

This modification was designed and completed by ModMyRV member RVfor5. This article carries a copyright. Permission must be obtained from the author before duplication or reposting.

We ran into a problem when the wind grabbed the door out of my hand and slammed it into the stopper mounted to the RV. The fiberglass in the door was punctured, making for an easy access point for water. Rather than just repair the fiberglass, I wanted to mod the door and reinforce the area so that it couldn’t happen again.

Mod Difficulty:

I went to a sign shop and had them make me a 4 x 5 rectangle of .08 white aluminum. Because it was so small (compared to what they usually make up), they were able to use scrap pieces, cutting the cost dramatically. I’d think that it would be even cheaper to buy materials from a raw materials shop, but by using the sign shop I didn’t have to paint it, and they radiused the corners for me.

I unscrewed the door catch from the door and then cleaned off the area with alcohol, and removed the butyl tape from the hangar. Planning to use the same screws, I drilled the screw pattern from the door catch into the bottom left corner of the aluminum. I planned to also put screws into the top and bottom right corners of the aluminum to better secure it and keep the aluminum from flexing.

I then used butyl tape around the outside edge of the plate, and anywhere screw holes were. I filled the puncture with silicone, then placed the plate onto the door. After screwing in the door catch, I pre-drilled the right corners into the door and fastened the corner screws fairly tight, taking care not to strip any of the holes.

All that was left was cleaning up the butyl tape that squished out from tightening (you can see the pre-cleaned corner bottom right, cleaned up top right). Over all a fairly easy and cheap (all the materials cost me about $12) mod which not only repaired the problem, but also made it so that I don’t have to worry about that problem again.

ModMyRV recommends these parts for this mod:

1″ Wide Butyl Tape

Share the mod love:
  • Facebook
  • TwitThis
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • MySpace
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • Pownce
  • Reddit
  • Technorati
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • E-mail this story to a friend!
Print This Mod Print This Mod

3 Comments For This Mod

Sort by:

  1. retcpo1943

    Very creative. I will keep that in mind if this happens to me.

  2. ModMyRV

    As soon as I get a hold of some butyl tape, I’m doing this mod. I already have a scrap piece of white steel I’m going to clean up. Found it rummaging through my garage today. :)

  3. Ken B,

    I had very similar damage. The damage was about the size of the holder. I removed the door handle and slid a piece of aluminum sheet between the outer door skin and the foam where the damage was. Another piece of sheet aluminum was cut larger than the damage. Drilled holes for the new holder and painted to match. Using the existing holes in the door where the damage was, drilled pilot holes in the sheet aluminum that was put in the door. Applied silicone sealer to the damaged area and attached the new holder to the painted plate and screwed into the pilot holes in the in-door aluminum sheet. The in-door sheet pulled the damage out and gave the screws something to bite on. The silicone was plenty to seal the damage so the use butyl tape was not needed and the sheet aluminum fit flush against the door.

Let's hear your comments about this mod!

If you are not a member, please consider registering so you don't have to fill out this form each time you comment.

Subscribe to the ModMyRV Comment Feed